Tax crime is manifested in many forms. Here are some prime examples:
- People don’t declare income in order to not pay the tax on that income.
- People lie about their expenses to reduce the tax they pay. For example they may lie about their business mileage, business expenses or even medical contributions.
- People simply don’t submit a tax return to SARS or fail to truthfully respond to our questions.
- Employers sometimes deduct tax from employees and never pay it over to SARS.
- Businesses sometimes charge VAT and never pay it over to SARS.